ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: CF cards, FAT16 formatting, Windows XP and some older JVC Portable Rom Players

Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:20:55 -0700

Andy Kolovos wrote:

> According to the developer's handbook for creating audio programs for
> use with these units the CF cards need to be "MSDOS formatted."  I
> assume this means FAT.  All fine and good, right?  Well, I learned (the
> hard way, actually) that FAT32 isn't exactly fully compatible with the
> players.  I've also learned that Windows XP doesn't allow for FAT16
> formatting.

Are you sure of that last? Open a DOS box, try
   format /?
and follow instructions. FAT is allowed and distinguished from FAT32, so
is surely FAT16.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/