ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: RIAA EQ software

Bob Olhsson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:06:11 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From Richard L. Hess: "...The original question was for RIAA but there are
few RIAA discs that
we should be transferring, even in Canada, as the true RIAA standard
came into effect what, 55 years ago?  I don't think it was adopted
immediately, was it? I recall seeing London/Decca FFRR recordings
(but maybe they were done with the RIAA curve and they just used the
acronym for marketing) into the 1960s and perhaps the 1970s.

The RIAA is the trade group consisting of most record labels including all
of the majors. Everybody agreed to adopt RCA's New Orthophonic curve as the
RIAA curve. As far as I know it was quickly adopted because the need for
different curves had become a serious problem for all labels. Virtually all
mastering facilities calibrated their playback and cutting systems using the
RCA New Orthophonic test disks. RCA also created the NAB disk but I never
saw it used nearly as much as the original RCAs. Ideally one would calibrate
a transfer channel using an RCA disk.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com    http://www.thewombforums.com