ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

AACR2 and recorded sound media

Brandon Burke <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:06:39 -0700

Hi all,

I'm curious about major changes in AACR(2) over time and hope that
some of our long-time
catalogers can chime in with some wisdom..

When was the last time AACR(2) made a significant change to its Sound
Recordings section?
I'm thinking, for example, of the introduction/removal/edit/etc of a
particular format (ex: sound
cartridge, sound cassette, etc)? In other words, how stable are these
designations?

How often have librarians and archivists had to go back and change
legacy records because
of an introduction, removal, or edit?

What exactly is a Sound "Roll"? Is this what we're supposed to use to
describe belts?

And lastly, what is the designation for dictation discs: "sound disc
(Audograph)," etc? That
doesn't seem very definitive, and i certainly wouldn't expect our
processing staff to know that..

FYI: I'm cross-posting this message on the AAA Message Board just in
case..

thanks in advance,
Brandon

Brandon Burke
Archivist for Recorded Sound Collections
Hoover Institution Archives
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-6010
vox: 650.724.9711