ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: RIAA EQ software

Eric Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:07:23 -0700

On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:25 PM, Tom Fine wrote:

> You'll find that most phono preamps need a tweak here or there to
> flatten the curve, much as using an MRL tape to align a tape
> playback requires a tweak here or there of the EQ trimmers if
> you've changed heads or components have drifted in the playback
> amp.

Tom, I think you're on the right track.  Cartridges are generally
not all that flat, and there's a lot of variability between each
individual cartridge.  The weak link is often not the phono preamp,
but it is the cartridge and the cartridge loading.  Even L-R balance
can be quite variable with cartridges.

So the best thing anyone can do with RIAA (or any EQ) disc transfers
is to carefully measure the frequency response of your complete
transfer chain (from the cartridge to the DAW) using an RIAA
calibration disc, and measure the deviations (assuming your
cartridge is set up correctly).  Include this calibration/deviation
information with the transfers so that anyone in the future can
decide whether or not to compensate for those deviations.  At the
very least, keep a transfer of the calibration disc so that damping/
anything in the playback/transfer chain (cartridge, alignment,
cable, preamp, ADC, etc.), make a new transfer of the calibration
disc for inclusion with all future transfers. It's good to re-run
the calibration disc with some regularity to catch any drifting of
system performance.

For fun, I collect calibration discs of all eras and EQs when
I can find them.  Some treasure music, I treasure EQ discs!

Interestingly, the ELP Laser Turntable had one of the flattest
frequency responses I'd ever measured.  Far flatter than any
electromechanical cartridge, which is why I think the sound
(harmonics, timbre) of the ELP Laser Turntable is quite accurate.
However, there are other compromises with the Laser Turntable
(like low signal-to-noise ratio) - nothing is perfect.

> Look at old stereo gear specs for the phono preamp, you'll see
> that acceptable tolerance was +/-1-2dB in many cases.

The trained human ear can detect 0.1 to 0.2 dB differences.  A
1-2 dB error in EQ is then quite audible.  Which is why there
are as many opinions as listeners, it seems, when it comes to
cartridge and phono preamp preferences.

Nonetheless, RIAA accuracy of the phono preamp is still
valuable, as this will contribute less error to the overall
playback/transfer chain.

If you can find a phono preamp that follows the RIAA curve at
+/-0.2 dB you are doing really well.  At least that's one
element in the playback/transfer chain you don't need to
worry about so much.  I think tone controls can get in the
way of audio transparency, so I'd rather make these fine
EQ adjustments for cartridge inaccuracies in the DAW.

> However, it's non-ideal in the first place to have only a
> pressed RIAA LP of something to transfer. Much better to
> expend the efforts and find and transfer the master
> tape.

Sadly, master tapes sometimes go missing and a mint LP may
be the best that's available.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
Tel: 408.221.2128