ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

One-bit files

Craig Breaden <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:01:23 -0400

Hi all,

One of our donors, a collector of traditional songs, has just
purchased a Korg MR-1000 1-bit recorder to do his field recording.
Although the bulk of his collection is on 1/4 reels, he's been using
digital for several years, starting with DAT and more recently using a
Tascam HD-P2 flash recorder.  We've discussed how we can help him
backup the files he creates on this Korg, and believe the way to do it
is to offload the raw files from the recorder onto hard drive then LTO
tape, along with a 96 khz / 24-bit BWF rendering using the Korg
Audiogate software (I don't know that anything else can do it, and I'm
not terribly comfortable with this, but...).  Using a file he brought
me the other day, a recording of Barbara Allen, I created  44.1/16-
and 24-bit versions using Audiogate, trying to get an idea of what a
user copy would sound like, and noticed some digital artifacts thrown
in around what had been, on the original file, a very soft pop in the
background.  This was not encouraging, although I realize I could
render at a higher resolution using Audiogate then create the user
copy using WaveLab.  He's on the fence, wondering if he should go back
to his Tascam, and from some of the discussion last year on the list
regarding 1-bit, I'm not certain he shouldn't.  Any thoughts?

Craig

--
Craig Breaden
Head, Media and Oral History