ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: Tape Degradation (was ELP Turntable & earlier RIAA EQ software)

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:58:46 -0400

Hi Bob:

For the Mercury Living Presence, the 3-track was indeed the master. Two machines were at the
sessions, the A and B machines. The A reels were edited and then the 3-2 mix was made at mastering.
Same was true for the CD's, by the way. No intermediate step as long as the 3-track masters were
present.

Since the Mercury 3-mic/3-track system was an expansion of the single-mic method, it was still
centered (pun intended) around the single-mic pickup, the center channel. That was always set first
and set to pick up the entire program. The sides were set up to add width and depth and height,
hence a true stereo pickup. The center channel was bridged and fed to the full-track mono recorders.
So what you have with a Mercury mono record, at least up until 1964, is the same thing you always
had -- a single-mic pickup. The mono masters were edited separately, based on the stereo editing
notes, and the mono disk master was cut separately, from the mono full-track master.

Now, when the stereo disk master was cut, a 2-track tape was made, bridged off the 3-2 mix buss
headed to the disk-cutting chain. This tape could then be used to cut overseas production parts or
make duped-reel masters or whatever. Thankfully, those tapes were archived along with masters and B
reels from sessions. The Mercury CD's are more specific than any other reissues I've ever seen
except maybe Mosaic jazz sets as to the exact source of the CD in the box. Collectors will note
that, while most of the CD's were made from the 3-track master tapes, in some cases the only sources
that could be located were the 2-tracks made at the time of disk-cutting. Collectors will also note
several cases where the original LP was mastered from 3-track 35mm mag-film but only the 3-track
tape could be located for the CD reissues. That 3-track tape is an original session tape, not a copy
of the 3-track film, so the only difference in sound is the inherent difference in an Ampex 300-3
vs. a Westrex 35mm 3-track.

In both the LP and CD mastering, the 3-2 mix was made by Wilma Cozart Fine, the producer. Just to be
clear, she also had final say on the sound-field at the sessions.

Anyway, the whole idea of the Mercury method was, one mic per channel and no tape-generation-loss
between recording session and release media. The Command team followed similar methods with Command
Classics -- 3-track film master was edited and 3-2 mix was made at disk-cutting.

-- Tom Fine