ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: Fw: [ARSCLIST] Restoration of broken records...

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:00:17 -0400

Dick Spottswood wrote:
> Just for the record, the tune's from 1932, well past the silent film era.
> I think these records were for intermission use, probably to plug songs
> featured in the show.  My guess is that they were made at 33 rpm because
> it's the speed players in projection booths could handle.

On the other hand, 78 RPM was in use as well..the various music libraries
(Brunswick Mood Accompaniment, Pict-Ur-Music etc) all were on 78s, and I've
seen "theatre use" discs from Victor and Brunswick that were 78s and which
duplicated or were similar to commercial issues, sometimes using alternate takes.

dl