ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: Large-format scanner redux

Malcolm Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:56:56 -0700

I have an Epson 1640 XL which is absolutely superb. It may be that it
has been replaced with a newer model. It has a couple of extras I
bought with it - the transparency lid and a card that goes in the
back to allow it's use with firewire. I would strongly suggest not
getting anything that hooks up via SCSI as it's really not used
anymore. A lot of us have about $500 worth of the cords in a plastic
box in the back of a closet! What ever you decide on, a very big
difference is Silverfast software. The Epson model I have, the XL
version comes with it. I discovered that they make the software for
most of the scanners out there so I ordered it for a Nikon slide
scanner. It was a tremendous improvement on the software that came
from Nikon. If you go to their web site, you will probably find what
ever scanner you decide on listed. The version that imbeds a profile
is worth it if you want to maximize color accuracy. I would think
that any better quality scanner interfaces with Photoshop.

Malcolm Smith.