ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: The Hope of Audacity Was--Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking recommendation

Mike Hirst <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:47:18 +0100

I guess what I am asking here is to do with specific combinations. I
must admit that this is something I have never questioned. It has been
my assumption that analogue audio enters one side of the AD converter
(soundcard/audio interface) and the digital audio produced is
represented through the software GUI - that the software does not change
the digital content during capture and more importantly that different
software does not alter the digital content, it merely represents the
same content through a different GUI. However it seems that what is
being said here is that different software will not only visually
represent the same audio capture differently, but will also
fundamentally alter or misrepresent the data part of the wav file.

Of course different software and indeed different versions of the same
software will perform differently according to the algorithms and
esoteric architecture of the filters used, but I am disturbed to find
that I have been so naive as to assume that it is not only the AD
converter that can influence the quality of sound captured. To be blunt,
a good soundcard can be let down by poor software.

If this is the case, I would be interested to hear what experiences
forum members have had with good and bad software/hardware combinations

--
Mike Hirst
Managing Director

tel: 0191 289 3186