ARSCLIST  August 2008

ARSCLIST August 2008

Re: Stravinsky recordings

John Ross <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:00:21 -0700

The 1949 Columbia Catalog lists:

Ebony Concerto (conducting the Woody Herman Orch)       7479-M
Firebird Suite (NY Phil)                set MM-653
Fireworks (Feu d-Artifice) (NY Phil)    12459-D
Four Norwegian Moods (NY Phil)  12371-D
L' Histoire du Soldat (w/Instrumentalists)      Set MM-184
Les Noces -- Excerpts (w/soloists & Chorus & Percussion Orch)   Set MM-204
Les Noces -- Excerpts ((w/vocalists & Chorus)   (in set M-361)    DB-1306
Octet for Wind Instruments (With Instrumentalists)      Set MX-25
Oiseau de Feu (The Fire Bird)  (with Symphony Orch)     Set MM-115
Pastorale for Violin and Wind Quartet (with Szigeti & Wind Quartet      72495-D
Petrouchka Suite  (with NY Phil)        Set MX-177
Le Sacre du Printemps  (with NY Phil)   Set MM-417
Scenes de Ballet (with NY Phil) Set MX-245
Symphonie di Psaumes (w/ Orchestre des Concerts Staram & Vassov
Choir)  Set MM-162
Symphony in Three Movements  (NY Phil)  Set MM-680

The 1967 catalog does not show anything that is a positive match to
those earlier 78 releases -- however there are a handful of things
that showed up in 1949 as "with instrumentalists" that are listed in
1967 as "The Columbia Symphony Orchestra."

As for CDs, Sony has released a 22-CD "Stravinsky Edition" (SX22K
46290) that includes most of the later stereo recordings, and
"Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky: The Mono Years 1952-1955"
(Masterworks Heritage 63325).

It looks like the definitive source for this information would be
"Igor Stravinsky--The Composer in the Recording Studio; A
Comprehensive Discography," by Philip Stuart, published by Greenwood
in 1991 and currently out of print
(http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/SKZ%252f.aspx). OCLC/WorldCat shows
217 copies in libraries, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/23767500

John Ross