ARSCLIST  September 2008

ARSCLIST September 2008

Re: cassette crackle

David Lennick <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:51:45 -0400

I had a number of cheapo cassette decks in the early days since I never
regarded the medium seriously (still don't). One was an AM-FM radio/cassette
recorder with a mic (not a built-in!) which I got for obtaining a Shell Credit
Card. Most of them were thirty-dollar jobbies, all had automatic gain control,
and most of them made recordings that sounded pretty noisy when played back on
good stereo decks. The professional portables Sony (and others) made were
better in this regard, as I recall, but you'd still want to play only one
channel from any of these cassettes just to ensure proper phasing (or play them
back from the machines they were recorded on, if possible).

dl