ARSCLIST  September 2008

ARSCLIST September 2008

Re: Swan Records Emperors of Jazz and Don Redman sides

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:12:02 -0400

They appear to be part of these Emarcy records:

EP-1-6015 Dixieland Classics Vol.1 Phil Napoleon
EP-1-6016 Music From Dixie Phil Napoleon
EP-1-6017 Dixieland Classics Vol.2 Phil Napoleon

Odd format, too -- 10-inch 45RPM records.

from one of Kohji-san's pages:
http://microgroove.jp/mercury/EP-1-6012.shtml

session details here:
http://www.jazzdisco.org/mercury-records/discography-1946/

The original 78's have Tony Spargo listed as the leader but I guess Mercury decided later on to make
Phil Napoleon the leader. That's what threw me off on google searching.

I'm surprised that Mosaic or someone else hasn't gathered up all these Mercury pre-history jazz
sides and put them together in a box set. There was an on-going series of Emarcy LPs in the early
50's. Titles like "Boning Up on the 'Bones" and "Sax Appeal". If good source media doesn't exist in
the Universal vaults, I bet the master tapes used to cut those early-LP-era reissue collections are
still there. The more famous-name Mercury, Keynote and other pre-history sides have of course been
reissued many times, but there were plenty of more obscure sides like the dixieland stuff and the
lesser-name Bebop series and jazz series sides. Plus sent-to-DJ promotional-message sides and stuff
like that. It would be a fun box set -- Prehistoric Mercury Jazz.

-- Tom Fine