PIG@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PIG Home

PIG  October 2008

PIG October 2008

Identifiers for metadata

Ruth Duerr <[log in to unmask]>

PREMIS Implementors Group Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:28:37 -0600

I thought I'd send this query from one of our developers out to the
group.  First, a little background.  In the earth sciences, harvesting
of metadata to serve a variety of user groups and their own portals is
a pretty ubiquitous activity.  The issue with that is that harvesting
quickly becomes circular and in some cases redundant.  We need to
figure out how we're going to identify the metadata we get from
somewhere else, especially if we then pass it along to *another*
"somewhere else." The other thing I should note is that different
communities need different metadata about data.  For example, the
educational user community needs information about grade levels and
educational goals, etc. that the research community does not need in
order to do research.  In most cases, this additional metadata is
created by the portal provider (as the archive would never be funded
for that).

So, we're trying to come up with some sort of guidelines for
representing this sort of provenance in our metadata archives. Below
are several scenarios. The philosophical question we are grappling
with is: when does a metadata record become a "new" or "different"
metadata record?  A series of four scenarios follow.  What is this
communities take on each of these scenarios?

----------------------- example scenarios below
-------------------------

Scenario 1:
* Archive A exposes a metadata record with identifier A1. The metadata
are exposed in formats F1, F2, and F3.
* Archive B obtains the metadata record A1 from Archive A in format F1
and adds it to the Archive B metadata repository. The unique
identifier exposed publicly remains A1.
* Archive B exposes the metadata record A1 in format F1.

  Does Archive B also need to obtain any XSLT stylesheets (or similar
transformation mechanisms) from Archive A in order to transform the
record A1 and publish it in format F2 or F3, while still associating
the record with its "A1" identifier from Archive A?  If they don't and
they have their own transformations is this still metadata record A1?

Scenario 2:
* Archive A exposes a metadata record with identifier A1. The metadata
are exposed in formats F1, F2, and F3.
* Archive B obtains the metadata record A1 from Archive A in format
F1, in format F2, and in format F3. Each format is explicitly added to
the Archive B metadata repository.
* Archive B exposes the metadata record identified as A1 in formats
F1, F2, and F3.

Scenario 3:
* Archive A publishes a metadata record with identifier A1. The
metadata are exposed in formats F1, F2, and F3.
* Archive B obtains the metadata record A1 from Archive A in format F1
and adds it to the Archive B metadata repository. A new unique
(public) identifier of B1 is assigned. The metadata are ingested into
a database, and Archive B uses its own transformation mechanisms to
publish record B1 in formats F1, F2, and F3.
* The provenance information in the metadata record of B1 is updated
to reflect the steps used to create record B1 from record A1.  Archive
B may also expose the metadata record identified as A1 in format F1.

Scenario 4:
Archive A modifies metadata record A1 after it's been harvested by
Archive B.
* How should this be reflected in the various scenarios above if the
record A1 is updated to reflect a modification date?
* In the PREMIS data model, "metadata describe only one object at any
given  time. If an object is changed or modified, a new object is
created that is  related to the previous one. Each object then has its
own set of metadata, and the relationship between the two is also
described. The model does not  allow for modifying an object and
keeping a set of metadata that describes a history of changes about
that object. Therefore, there would be no  modification date of an
object, only a creation date for the new object" (PREMIS Data
Dictionary for Preservation Metadata, p. 206). Archive A will create a
new object A1.1 (for example). If Archive B issues a harvest request
for an update of metadata record A1 from Archive A, will there be a
forward pointer to the new record A1.1? Will Archive B harvest record
A1.1 as a new record, thus obtaining the information that connects A1
to A1.1?