PCCLIST November 2008

Re: Form of Heading for a Thesis

Laurence Creider <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:40:32 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

When the concepts for establishing a name were developed in the nineteenth
and early twentieth century, theses were published in most countries and
were frequently exchanged by major universities on an international basis.
When the notion that the most commonly used form should form the basis for
the choice of name was developed (1950's), dissertations and theses in
many countries were still published but not in the U.S.  This is important
because part of the argument against using the form on theses is because
they are unpublished.  A blanket rule will not work.  Nor will a
distinction between published and unpublished, since published forms of a
name may be subject to rules not of the author's choosing.

The problem with hanging an interpretation of AACR2's sources for choosing
the fullness of name on a distinction between "publication" and "thesis"
is that the code makes no such distinction.  Nor does it make a
distinction betwen published and unpublished works by an individual in
choosing a name.  As things go, most of the time, evidence will come from
published works, but a statement of responsiblity is a statement of
responsibility and can occur on manuscripts, locally produced videos, or
sound recordings, even graphics of various sorts, etc.

If folks want to change the rule or urge that RDA incorporate such
distinctions, great.  Go through the rule revision process.  I do not
believe that you can interpret the current rule to justify ignoring
statements of responsibility on theses or dissertations.

Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM  88003