ARSCLIST  December 2008

ARSCLIST December 2008

Re: DVD-R recommendations?

Jerry Hartke <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:34:32 -0500

Recordable and rewritable CD and DVD discs contain lots of information
embedded in the pregroove. This normally identifies the manufacturer (only
of the stamper, not of the disc), recommended write conditions, and other
information. Lists of "appropriate media" from drive manufacturers usually
include media whose suppliers have supplied samples to the drive
manufacturer, who, after evaluation, have entered additional
supplier-specific information into the drive firmware. This may result in
frequent firmware updates.

These "appropriate media" lists from drive manufacturers confirm that they
have conducted the above procedures on listed media. They do not confirm
that the resulting recordings are of high quality, or that the unrecorded or
recorded discs conform with requirements of ISO or other standards. Media
Sciences often evaluates media that has very poor recorded quality yet is
contained in "appropriate media" lists. Please remember that such lists do
not certify quality.

Media-drive compatibility is a myth. Any "good" disc should write properly
in any "good" drive. Long ago, when stabilized cyanine dyes were first
replaced by phthalocyanine or metalized azo dyes in some media, writer
firmware did not contain all of the information necessary to accurately
record to each dye type. This was complicated when different cyanine and
different phthalocyanine dyes became available. Drives manufactured during
the last decade or so have no such limitations, and have the capability to
record to these various dyes.

I should add that optimum recording speeds can be both media and drive
sensitive, but, to my knowledge, are not publically addressed by media and
drive suppliers. This is a complex decision tree for users, where good media
gives bad results in bad writers, and bad media gives bad results in good
writers. Achieving a good/good/good match is challenging.

Jerry Hartke
Media Sciences, Inc.