ARSCLIST  December 2008

ARSCLIST December 2008

Humidifiers and Playback Equipment/Collections

"Jones, Randye" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:39:27 -0600

Good day, all!

We are considering installing a humidifier to address the low humidity (21-22% at present) in our library's Listening Room.  However, I'm very concerned about whether it would adversely affect the audio and video equipment and/or the video and audio collections housed here.

One thing we are considering is placing the humidifier in the outer public area so that the steam generated would be less likely to directly contact the equipment or collections.

What is your experience?  It has been suggested that the higher humidity would not only benefit the staff but the materials in the room.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Regards,

Randye

    |      | Randye Jones
    | )    | Listening Room Supervisor
  / |      | Grinnell College Libraries, Grinnell, IA 50112