ARSCLIST  January 2009

ARSCLIST January 2009

Re: Digital oral history recorders - any recommendations?

Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:11:08 -0800

helpful experience: It wasn't oral history, but the week I got my H2,
I was recording a software conference (16 roms at once!) when they
asked us at the last minute toi record a round table meeting across
the street. It was users sharing their experiences and the executives
needed to hear it - I put the H2 in surround, locked the coltrols,
handed it over and told them to put it in the middle of the table,
bring it back when done. With 6 hours at 16/44.1 on a 4G chip, I was
able to bring it into my laptop DAW. do some appropriate compression,
and deliver the file an hour after the luncheon was over. It was nice
stereo too, in two shannel but with surround micing. They wanted
mono, so it was easy rto collapse to mono and deliver an MP3.

First piece of gear that paid for itself on its first use! I use a
Sound Devices for music too, and the H2 is a perfect convenient unit
for this use.

By the way, I also use it from the -10 line output of the SD deck to
record MP3s simultaneously - can hand the musicians a preview copy
right away. VERY handy.

<L>

Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689