ARSCLIST  January 2009

ARSCLIST January 2009

Re: Cost of tape vs HD (was: crashed disk drive recovery)

Marcos Sueiro Bal <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:26:08 -0500

Happy New Year, everyone.

Dave, your points are well taken. We are obviously on the same side of
this issue (and many others). I was more worried about non-experts
(including administrators) thinking that digital (even with
high-quality drives) is cheaper than analogue.

Some comments:

- We must remember that we *are* asking for more money from
administrators if we follow current accepted practices (and, in
fairness, it seems fair that administrators ask for quicker access).
Again, we ask to keep the analogues *and* digital copies "forever".

- Migration as thought in the analog world had cycles measured in
decades, whereas recommended migration in the digital world happens
every six or seven years (either because of drive failure or system
updates). So in the medium-long term (despite falling prices), digital
storage appears to be quite more expensive than analog (in the
long-long term, analog may not be an option, so comparisons are
difficult).

- It seems that you agree that 8/GB/5 years may match your true
storage costs at your institution. Perhaps larger systems, despite
their greater complexity, also allow for a bit of savings through
economies of scale, or greater automation.

- Your point comparing OfficeMax drives to Certron cassettes also
raises the issue of hierarchical preservation, which is beginning to
be suggested in some circles.

We used to trust our data to oxide molecules on plastic, which
appeared to be fairly stable (with some famous exceptions), and thus
most of us did not worry too much about learning chemistry. Now we are
trusting our data to systems that from the start are potentially far
less stable if not given proper attention. As a result, we find
ourselves having to learn IT, and spend more time managing storage. It
is a new reality.

The analogue preservation world has plenty of horror stories, and the
one recounted by Richard surely will not be the last of the horror
stories from the digital world, even with supposedly "perfect"
systems. There is no question that luck also plays a part.

Cheers,

Marcos

--
Marcos Sueiro Bal