ARSCLIST January 2009

Re: OTR online?

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:06:31 -0500

text/plain

See end of message...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles A. Richardson" <[log in to unmask]>
> Hi Steve, Bob,  Anthony, Robert, et all.
> I bit more info on real hi end AM and FM radio performance from the
> Golden Age.   By the end of the 1930s around 1940, E. H.. Scott  Labs
> (no relation to H. H. Scott) was making some extraordinary radios.  AM
> could have wide bandwidth when circumstances permitted.  In these
> earlier times, the AM band was not cluttered with a lot of stations
> which tended to interfere with each other.  In those days there were
> fewer stations with lots of power and clear channels.  They also
> usually were limited to daytime operation because interference went up
> at night due to atmospheric conditions.
> When the AM band got crowded (in the 1960s?  or later), receivers had
> to have 9KHz or 10KHz audio filters to help reduce increasing man made
> noise issues and station reception interference.  AM noise in car
> radios from the ignition systems raised havoc with reception, not to
> mention the mechanically noisy acoustic car environment.   When the
> filters went in and the AM band got crowded,  then received AM
> fidelity really went down even though the AM transmitter could still
> transmit wide band audio.   Also in earlier times, there was a real
> emphasis on quality.  Later on, music sources had their sound
> manipulated by processors in the recording studio and also more signal
> processing at the broadcast station to be louder and also attempt to
> reduce various noise issues and sound well on cheap AM radios of
> limited performance.  Sound quality music reproduction reception moved
> to FM for obvious reasons.
> Back to the story.  In 1940, E H. Scott, who called themselves 'The
> Stradivarius of Radio Receivers',  made a "Philharmonic Receiver"
> that had 5 bands, including the new
> Armstrong FM on its original frequency band of 41 to 50 Mhz.  The set
> had 33 of the large  big pin tubes and came with a 5 year parts
> warranty.   The frequency response of the
> AM section was the same as the FM section, 30 to 15KHz.   It had
> variable IF Bandwidth to adjust for reception conditions.  The AM
> antenna was adjustable for gain, nulling,
> pick up pattern, and was highly shielded against local interference.
> There were tube voltage regulators to keep the tuner from drifting off
> station.  One could order 8 different cabinets,
> woods, colors, etc.  and there were options of speakers, amplifiers,
> etc.  The circuits had multiple Mixers, RF amplifiers, IF Amplifiers,
> Detectors, AGC, AVC, Tuning Eyes, an 8 tube Audio Amplifier, Noise
> suppressor for suppressing 78 record surface noise, separate power
> supplies with high filtration, dual tuning speeds, etc.,  a 4 speaker
> option, a sensitivity of
> .5 microvolts, logging scale, muting between stations, etc.   It used
> dual chassis construction of 14 gage chrome plated steel.   If memory
> serves, In 1940 this radio cost between $3000.00 to $4000.00!    Think
> of that in today's dollars.   It was the best of the best.  Many
> [...]
First...the problem with the AM band is that these frequencies will "skip"
via the ionosphere...but ONLY after the sun goes down! This is the
reason for "clear channel" frequencies (NOT the corporation...!!)...they
might have had several daytime stations, but only ONE (sometimes two,
one on each coast...?!) after sundown. There were also a few frequencies
(1230 was one) which were assigned to low-power (1KW or less) "local"
stations on a 24-hour basis...usually one heard chaos there, but SOMETIMES
one station would rise above the chaos long enough that DX'ers (like me)
could identify it!

Second, I own an E.H. Scott 800-B, which is now being stored by my
brother in West Allis, Wisconsin. Was lucky enough to acquire it for $35
from the chap who was settling the estate of a late Peoria County (Ill's.)
sheriff (he had held the job back when he could make a LOT of "under
the table"money (aka "GRAFT!") from folks who supplied gambling and
other not-quite-legal entertainments...and as a result could afford the
$1600 radio...!!

Steven C. Barr