You are invited to join the Technical Services interest group at the ALISE
Birds of a Feather sessions on Wednesday, January 21 from noon until
1:45. This year, sessions will be set up in two tables to allow
participants to move from one table to another at midpoint within the time
frame. Following are the details on the table discussions:
Competencies of Information Organization Professional
Discussion leader: Ingrid Hsieh-Yee, Professor, School of Library &
Information Science, Catholic University of America
* What knowledge, skills, and abilities do future information
organization professionals need to have to manage information resources
* What strategies would you recommend to help students develop these
* A summary of a survey that explores the feasibility and sustainability
of MERIC (Metadata Education and Research Information Commons) will be
presented for participants to discuss how a service
such as MERIC can help foster the development of needed competencies.
* What roles can practitioners play in educating future information
Cataloging, Classification, and Metadata
Discussion leader: Elaine Yontz, Professor, Library & Information Science
Program,Valdosta State University
* Nuts and bolts: come prepared to share one thing you are doing that's
* Task Force on educating the next generation of cataloging faculty: how
we can help.
* Pedagogy: come prepared to share resources that have helped you learn
about best practices for teaching.
Barbara Marson, Ph.D.
Dept. of Library Science and Instructional Technology
1108 Joyner Library
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
[log in to unmask]