Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  January 2009

EDUCAT January 2009

Re: incorporating RDA into a Cataloging and Classification class

Allyson Carlyle <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:36:23 -0800

Oh dear - I hope that no one is presented with cataloging standards and told to memorize them.  I think it is less important to know the standards than to know why they exist.  Which means that it matters less whether you are teaching AACR2 or RDA, but how you are teaching them.

For my part, I'm not budging from teaching AACR2, with reference to RDA throughout, until I see it adopted (if it is adopted??).  But don't pay any attention to me, I'm a terrible skeptic.