ARSCLIST  March 2009

ARSCLIST March 2009

Re: Old reel to reel 'echo' problem

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:33:48 -0400

Hello, Melodie,

This is called "print through" where the signal on one layer of a
tape impresses itself onto adjacent layers of the tape. In rare
instances, you can hear things repeat more than once.

The time difference between the original and the image is once around the reel.

Sometimes this can be cured by winding the tape through and letting
it sit for a few days.

There is a process--available only on the Studer A820 with
late-version software--called "skimming" which puts a small erase
current onto the tape in an attempt to erase only the easily modified
magnetic domains (which are the ones that are modified to cause the
print through).

I have yet to hear of any real successes in trying this though it has
been discussed on various lists. I have not tried it.

Careful application of dynamics processing (compression and gating)
in a DAW, plus sometimes editing at the beginning/end of a recording)
can reduce the annoyance factor, or if done too much increase the
annoyance factor. Never a nice thing. It was known from the beginning
and is worse on speech which is why most of the dialogue recordings
for films done on a reel-to-reel Nagra were done on special "low
print" tapes. These weren't as "hot" for music, but did better for speech.

Cheers,

Richard