The candidate version 1.8 of the METS schema has now been mounted for
community review on the METS website at
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/version18/mets.v1-8.xsd. Our target
date for making this version the official current version of the METS
schema is Monday April 27, pending any issues that may be raised during
the two week review period.
A list of the changes included in this version of the schema follows:
1. CRC32, Adler-32, and MNP have been added to the enumerated values
constraining CHECKSUMTYPE to align with MIX messageDigestAlgorithm
2. TEXTMD and METSRIGHTS have been added to the enumeration values
3. An MDTYPEVERSION attribute has been added as a companion to the
MDTYPE attribute in the mdRef and mdWrap elements.
4. The ID and STRUCTID attributes on the <behavior> element have
been made optional. Depending on whether the behavior applies to a
transformFile element or div elements in the structMap, only one or the
other of the attributes would pertain.
5. All documentation has been aligned with the METS Primer, and
corrected where indicated. (We have not yet, but will, also make all of
these documentation corrections in the Primer itself).
6. xml:lang="en" atttribute value has been added to every
7. xlink:extendedLink support has been added to the <structLink>
element by means of a new <smLinkGrp> element, and its child
<smLocatorLink> and <smArcLink> elements.
Comments from the METS community are welcome.
Software Engineer, Research and Development
U.C. Berkeley Library
88 Herrada Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87508