METS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

METS Home

METS  April 2009

METS April 2009

Re: mptr to higher-level object

Warwick Cathro <[log in to unmask]>

Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:16:52 +1000

Jenn,

I'm not an expert on METS - but I wondered if this article from D-Lib might be relevant to your question?
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march08/pearce/03pearce.html

The article describes how, in Australia, we came up with a three level structure for the "Australian METS Profile".  At the top level, a generic profile specifies the mandatory elements and attributes, extension schemas and controlled vocabularies applicable to all content models.  At the second level, sub-profiles inherit the generic profile and clarify requirements for specific content models.  (The first of these sub-profiles - the Australian Journals METS Profile - has now been registered).  At the third level is the local registration of implementation profiles as part of a national registry of repositories.

Warwick Cathro

Warwick Cathro
Assistant Director-General, Resource Sharing and Innovation
National Library of Australia
Ph: 02 6262 1403
Fax: 02 6273 1133