EDUCAT May 2009

Re: Who do you pay attention to?

Judy Weedman <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 May 2009 10:25:33 -0700

Hi, Janet, and all --

At SJSU we've struggled with the role of research in professional work and
professional education too. I'm not positive we've found the right
answer, but it may be *a* right answer. Our research methods class had
always been a standard overview of academic (mostly social science)
research methods class -- not dissimilar to a Phd research methods class.
And most of our students saw it as irrelevant. It was required for those
who chose to do a thesis and ignored by almost all the others.

Recently we decided to require it (our director feels strongly that it
should be a required class), and what we did was open it up and offer many
sections with different foci of interest. We still have the classic
academic/social science overview class. We also have many others -- one
on evaluation programs and services (basically an "action research" class)
which the students *do* see as directly relevant to their future jobs, one
on historical research (which a lot of people are interested in), one on
ethnography with a focus on technology, one on youth programs evaluation
(also "action research" approach), one on reference evaluation and
research, and on that calls it self just "action research." Pretty much
any reasonable focus could be chosen, as long as there's a qualified
instructor and enough students sign up for it.

We could certainly have one on cataloging/metadata/classifiction research
too, if any of us felt competent to teach it. (We do hire a lot of
parttime faculty, by the way, and you don't have to live in California or
even come to California to teach for us...)

I think this is our second year of doing this, so we'll see how it goes
over time. But I thought it was an interesting approach (not my idea, so
I can say that!).

I'd be interested to know how that sounds to the rest of you.

  Judy