ARSCLIST June 2009

Re: DC Art Tools for restoring old 78's

Pete Tinker <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:34:50 -0700

Jan,

I have used DC7 and earlier versions for about 6 years. It works well
for me as an amateur collector/restorer. I am most interested in
managing large numbers of 78s, with occasional need to make very
detailed click elimination. I seldom need to make a "perfect"
restoration (as if such a things were even possible). The most serious
drawback, I think, is that it is not "programmable;" that is, one can't
easily write macros to handle many recordings as a set.

I also have friends at the University of Utah who use it extensively for
restoring recordings of Native American speech. They seem very
satisfied with it in that application.