Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  June 2009

ARSCLIST June 2009

Sarnoff Library to Close Archive looks for a new home!

Steve Ramm <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:25:25 EDT

Sa
The following letter fromAlex Magoun of the Sarnoff Library was just
forwarded to me by a friend, I've also provided link to the article that Alex
references in his message.

Steve

Dear Friends of the Library,
This Sunday the Times of Trenton will run a story on the closing of the
David Sarnoff Library by the end of the year.
The Library’s success in attracting field trips and tour groups has
outgrown our host Sarnoff Corporation’s ability to accommodate the attendant
security and access issues, especially given its expanding business in
government security technologies. When I started working here in 1998, the Library
received perhaps 100 visitors in a year; in the last year, that number has
multiplied to 1,400 through our field trips, programs, and tours. That
still small number, magnified by the hundreds of thousands of visitors to our
website, promised only to increase as we continued to promote the Library’s
offerings to tour companies and regional school districts.
My board and I are meeting with a variety of institutions. We are
focusing on and meeting with representatives of those that will enable greater
access to the remarkable and inspiring stories told by David Sarnoff and the
people of RCA in research, invention, and innovation, the mainstays of
American economic success. We are exploring opportunities in-state and out, and
while it is too early to discuss these options, we look forward to making
an announcement in the next month.
For now, we are eternally grateful to Sarnoff Corporation’s executives and
staff who, over the past nine years have done so much to help make the
Library a destination for educational, professional, and scholarly audiences.
I am also especially grateful to our board members who, in that nine
years, have guided the Library’s growth; to the New Jersey Historical Commission
and the Secretary of State for their operating support grants; to many
other grantors and donors for their financial support; to the allied
organizations who share an interest in promoting science and technology; to the
teachers and principals who brought their classes to our new field trip
programs; to the contractors and dozens of volunteers who helped rebuild the
museum, organize and preserve the archives, and stage our amazing variety of
educational programs; and of course to you, the many friends of the Library,
from all these areas and more. Thank you all!
Sincerely,
Alex
Alexander B. Magoun Ph.D.
Curator and Executive Director