ARSCLIST  June 2009

ARSCLIST June 2009

Re: Orphan Audio Symposium?

"Schooley, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:32:32 -0500

"Also, I think that we can add most recordings of radio broadcasts to this category. 99.9% of them have certainly been abandoned by their rights holders, at least until a party with rights gets wind of someone trying to distribute them. It could be argued that these are the opposite of "orphans." They have too many parents. But the problems surrounding them are the same as those for orphans."

I am particulary interested in this.  We have in our collection some interviews recorded from a local radio station in the early 70's.  The station was short-lived and no longer exists.  There are some very interesting interview subjects (Professor Longhair, Al Stricklin, and...Leonard Nimoy, among others).  I would love to put some clips of these interviews up on our web site.  The content is interesting, and the "big names" (well, Nimoy anyway...I am more interested in the piano players, but Spock IS currently in a big summer blockbuster) might help us attract a few page hits and attention.  However, the copyright status of this sort of thing is so muddled that I wouldn't really know where to begin.  And I'm told that, should you ask, the legal department's answer regarding anything complicated is usually "NO".

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sam Brylawski
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Orphan Audio Symposium?

Victoria's summary is really useful, I think. In the case of audio, consider this, too:

There was no federal copyright registration process for sound recordings before Feb. 15, 1972. In my opinion, many "pre-'72"
recordings *might* be considered orphans, too, because their rights holders are so difficult to track down. We may know how to contact Sony Music Entertainment rights offices for Victor and Columbia output but what about all the post-WWII independent labels? The challenges faced in compiling the NRPB study conducted by Tim Brooks and Steve Smolian, "Survey of Reissues of U.S. Recordings"
(http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub133/pub133.pdf) are cases in point.

Also, I think that we can add most recordings of radio broadcasts to this category. 99.9% of them have certainly been abandoned by their rights holders, at least until a party with rights gets wind of someone trying to distribute them. It could be argued that these are the opposite of "orphans." They have too many parents. But the problems surrounding them are the same as those for orphans.

May I suggest that someone involved in the film orphans symposia summarize the objectives and accomplishments of these conferences?
Then we can see how audio orphans might benefit from such attention.

Sam

Sam Brylawski
Editor and Project Manager
Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings University of California, Santa Barbara http://victor.library.ucsb.edu