ARSCLIST  June 2009

ARSCLIST June 2009

Re: Fisk Jubilee Singers discography?

Rob DeLand <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:22:16 +0000

Good morning all,
I finished the Fisk chapter in Lost Sounds on my way in this morning, and I couldn't be more impressed – what an interesting read.Had I done this before I would have already known that (a) Tim tells us (pgs. 214-215) that D&G deliberately omitted the Fisks until the 4th edition because "they sang principally for white audiences and had a 'little authentic gospel quality' "; (b) the photo on pg. 214 is indeed from the 1997 ARSC conference in Nashville (text on pg. 215); and (c) Mr. Brooks brings us up to date after the last Fisk 78s on pgs. 213-214 with their LP output (3 total albums including a well-known 1955 Folkways).On one hand I apologize for wasting the bandwidth bringing these things up here; OTOH if folks didn't realize it already then I'm glad I DID bring it up.
I really appreciate the insights Tim shares regarding the more subtle ensemble work that can be heard in the electrical recordings which apparently didn't work as well in the acoustics; and the prevalence of male voices in the earlier recordings vs. later female prominence.One wonders what this music was intended to sound like in the first place, prior to being recorded and targeted for this or that audience.Were female voices not common in a typical antebellum black church?Perhaps they were, but they simply didn't record well.I'm sure there's no single answer.
BTW, can someone respond to me privately please: would this conversation have been better conducted on 78-L vs. this list?I read both and I'm not sure where to draw the line.Is this list better suited to technical issues, and 78-L better suited for more detailed discussion of the musical content as I've attempted here?
On to Polk Miller.
Regards,
Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob DeLand [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fisk Jubilee Singers discography?

Tim Brooks included a photo of a 1997 Fisk cylinder recording session (photo on pg. 214, courtesy of Steve Ramm) – was that the ARSC recording you mention?I wonder how many recordings there were between when Dixon & Godrich left off in 1940 and the present.I got through about half the Fisk chapter on my commute home tonight.How beautifully written!Very interesting, insightful commentary all the way through.I see the three Document CD’s cover the entire output covered in D&G (through 1940) EXCEPT for the nine Edison cylinders from 1912.I don’t have a lot of Fisk 78s, but I do have 16453 (individual names listed on the label) and 16487 (individual names not listed).Which are more common, labels with individuals’ names or those without?Another question: Tim mentions the nine Edison cylinder recordings (pg. 200) plus two experimental, vertically cut discs.D&G includes the nine cylinders, but doesn’t mention the discs. I don’t suppose anything remains of the disc masters?Mr. Seubert’s UCSB site includes 5 of the Fisk cylinder titles, and it sounds like the originals must have been in relly good shape.Have the other 4 titles all been located in one collection or another?I meant to read the rest of the Lost Sounds chapter tonight but got sucked in by the Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett coverage.How sad to lose both of them!I always hoped Jackson would bounce back for one more great album, I bet he had it in him.What a waste … so sad.Thanks,Rob -----Original Message----- From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 06:28 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fisk Jubilee Singers discography? Any discography would not be complete without listing the recordings they made at the ARSC Conference in (year?). Was it Nashville? No, South Carolina maybe? joe salerno Rob DeLand wrote: > Dear collective wisdom,Hello - I’m a lurker who has planned to introduce himself for a long time, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.I joined ARSC in 2007 and I’m the librarian at VanderCook College of Music in Chicago.I’ve also reissued piano rolls of ragtime, blues and reproducing piano rolls for the past 20 years.I'm trying to locate a discography of the Fisk Jubilee Singers, particularly their earliest works. I have skimmed over ch. 14 of Lost Sounds and I need to re-read it more carefully.The 2nd footnote says that “Dark Midnight When I Rise: The Story of the Fisk Jubilee Singers” by Andrew Ward is a recommended bio; are there any better choices?It also indicates that Dixon & Godrich is the best discography available; I’ll look this up when I get home. I don’t suppose anything more is available yet?Finally, are the Document CD's the best place to go for these early recordings? A private reply would be fine - thank you!Rob DeLand >