ARSCLIST June 2009

Re: take numbers on emerson records

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:07:47 -0400

text/plain

SEE END!!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <[log in to unmask]>
> From: David Seubert <[log in to unmask]>
>> The only way to determine for certain if a record is an alternate
>> take is to have access to the original documentation (or a
>> discography that used it) and understand the system the company
>> used. Everything else, A/B comparisons, "golden ears," micrometer
>> measurements, or my marks on pieces of paper are speculative to
>> varying degrees. In the absence of concrete information on how
>> a company marked takes in the wax (information I don't have for
>> Emerson) it's all just "Bixing."
> I shudder to think what would happen if I were to forward your message
> to Fr. Jerome Webber.  Although he is a man of God, he has a temper, and
> one of his passions is for proper discographcal standards.  He has been
> the conscience of ARSC discographical standards for 40 years.  He, and
> almost every other experienced discographer will tell you that this
> statement is the absolute worst advice that could possibly be given.
> The paperwork means NOTHING.  NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING.  The ONLY thing
> that matters is the RECORD.  If the record exists, it is the be-all and
> end-all of discography.  NOTHING COMES BEFORE THE EVIDENCE OF THE RECORD
> ITSELF.  NOTHING.  And discographies that rely ONLY on the company
> documentation is not worth the paper it is printed on, or the bits and
> bytes it fills in computers, servers, or CD-ROMs.
>
> He spent years, and travelled tens of thousands of miles to actually see
> and listen to every record in his Gregorian Chant Discography.  He found
> HUNDREDS of errors in all kinds of paperwork EVEN ON THE RECORD LABELS
> THEMSELVES.  Although this was a very unusual case, he found that the
> only way he could even be sure of what chant was actually recorded on
> the record was to listen to it.  Recording ledgers had errors.  Catalogs
> had errors.  Discographies had errors.  Reviews had errors.  The ONLY
> thing that did not have errors are the grooves.  If no copies of the
> record could be found anywhere in the world -- and I mean ANYWHERE in
> the WHOLE WORLD -- only then would he rely solely on on prior paperwork,
> even recording ledgers.  Even if the LABEL said one thing and the
> grooves showed that there was a different chant recorded, the chant that
> was recorded was listed (with a notation about the label error and other
> errors that might have come from it).   He grew to distrust ALL
> paperwork.  The only thing that mattered was the music in the grooves
> and the original ancient manuscripts of the chants that he found in
> monasteries, archives, and collections all over the world.
>
> As I said, this is an extreme case because it involved a genre of music
> that is very difficult for any but experts to decipher, but I don't
> think there is a reputable discographer who would take the evidence of
> paperwork over what is contained in the grooves of a record.  I know
> first-hand that the discographic standards of many of the finest
> [...]
Yaddada-yaddada-yaddada deleted!!

First...what is implied in the above is/are that TWO things are required...!
First, the phonorecords in question...and, second (and MORE important!)
these having been heard by individuals who are (1) VERY knowledgeable,
and (2) have near-perfect memory for musical detail!

Personally, after almost four decades of collecting 78rpm phonorecords,
I will admit that I DO NOT posess the detailed memory needed two
hear two different takes of a recording in succession...and then pronounce
"These are OBVIOUSLY different...on one, the sax player hits a quick
E-flat, and on the other he holds the E-flat for almost the whole bar!"

I own some 55,050 78rpm phonorecords. IF my "connect my 78rpm TT
to my "Line In" jack" project FINALLY works (with luck and a favourable
tail-wind, I shall know to-morrow...?!) I will be able to (1) PLAY the
dommed things...and (2) compare recordings, to the limited extent that
my semi-reliable memory allows...?!

The ONLY 78-ophile I have EVER met who had the memory and
understanding needed to compare records (and HE usually employed
simultaneous playing using two TT's!) was the late Jeff Healey...this
is why I deferred to him in such debates!!

However, company ledgers (insofsar as they still exist...all too often
they DON'T!) can provide important discographic information!!

Consider the endless debates of the thirties/forties as to whether
the trumpet/cornet passage briefly heard on such&such a record
WAS or WASN'T Bix...?!

Steven C. Barr