ARSCLIST June 2009

Re: New LoC Recording Registry

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Jun 2009 18:07:20 -0400

text/plain

Mike, you are so right about all the spoken-word recordings you list!

How about Edward R. Murrow's "I Can Hear It Now," which sold an awful lot of then-new LPs plus 12"
78 albums and was an early example of using the new (in the U.S.) medium of tape to edit together
many different sound sources.

Also what about comedy albums? "The First Family" won a Grammy, charted for weeks and has the whole
interesting story of Vaughn Meder's ill-fated career. George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce,
Bill Cosby, and so many other popular, commercially successful and socially relevant recordings.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] New LoC Recording Registry

From: Vincent Pelote <[log in to unmask]>
> Doesn't it make sense then that a music as culturally,
> historically and aesthetically important as jazz (often
> called "America's classical music") should be heavily
> represented in a National Recording Registry?

Actually I see the list as coming in bunches.  Some eras have a lot of
jazz to the exclusion of other genre of recordings, while other eras are
heavy in spoken word, or rock, or classical to the exclusion of jazz.
The registry is a work-in-progress, and the annual lists need to be
looked at in context of the full list, and that full list sometimes gets
out of balance as some genres play catch up.  I wonder if there has been
a chart made of the genres and their timelines to make comparisons of
imbalance. That might make a good project, but it is something that
should have already been in place for the committee to use in their
considerations.  If it is, it would be good to make public.  If not, it
could be something to submit to some of the people we know on the
committee.

The other problem I wonder about are the annotations on each recording.
There should be a lengthy file on each recording, but I find no way of
viewing these on-line.  Are these files available at LC?  Or do they
even exist???  Some of these recordings are things that I have done
detailed research on, such as the Defense Test Day, the Hindenburg
disaster, Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto, Richard Hale/Kousy Peter
and the Wolf, FDR Declaration of War, and a number of others.  Does the
FDR file explain the various ways the different networks broadcast the
House debate that followed, and do they include these different
recordings?  The House debate portions are MORE IMPORTANT than FDR's
speech is, and my recordings are the most complete available and I
donated dube to both NARA and LC.  The description of the Rach 2
mentions that two movements had been released in an acoustical version,
but doesn't mention that the entire concerto had been recorded
acoustically and that the missing last side of the 1st mvt has been
found.  Do they have the info I discovered about the forged ledger sheet
which changed the approved takes to reflect the alternate takes they
started using in the early war years?  Do they have all the issued
alternate takes?  Do they also have the unissued alternate takes I know
are still in the vaults?  Likewise with the Peter and the Wolf, do they
have the issued and unissued alternate takes?  Do they know that the
piece was recorded straight thru on one take and then they went back and
recorded a couple of re-takes of each side later in the session?  Have
they put together the take-ones in a separate sequence to re-create that
unique recording session?  Or have they never even looked at the session
sheet?

While there is a mechanism in place to put in nominations, I see no
mechanism to update, supplement and correct the information of the
recordings already in the registry.  The public info doesn't even give
any discographical info, or even any finding aid info, although the
annual lists give the identification of the photographs and their
finding numbers in the listings but not the recordings themselves.

> Why is it that other countries (France, Denmark, Japan, etc.)
> revere jazz more than the land where it was created?
> Vincent Pelote

If you look at the TV ratings you can understand that the American
people in general are dunderheads.  The Europeans in general revere
*ALL* culture more than the American people.  The European interest in
Jazz is of long standing, back to the 1930s and even earlier (as Rainer
Lotz's ARSC presentation showed) but the damn fool U.S. copyright law,
coupled with the damn fools who run the U.S. record companies have made
it almost impossible for any general interest in jazz to now develop in
the American people.

You know what I found out yesterday?  A college chum of mine is
president of the Philadelphia Broadcast Pioneers.  He wanted to put
recordings of some compositions written by members of the group on their
web page when they did recent tributes to these composers.  They
received a notice from ASCAP of enormous fees due.  They had a signed
agreement from the composer of the music allowing them to use it but
ASCAP told them that the composer was not allowed to go around his ASCAP
agreement.  When a BMI composer was next to be honored, my friend told
him to go to BMI himself, and BMI told him the same thing that ASCAP had
told the assoc in the earlier case.  I suggested that the public
performance licensing agencies did not have EXCLUSIVE rights, that the
Commercial advertising rights are reserved to the creators, and that
they could claim these are commercial advertising usages, but their
lawyers said that ASCAP and BMI might sue anyway even though they know
they will lose, and that it would still cost plenty.

So the organizations that are supposed to promote the use of their
members' compositions and provide them income are BLOCKING usages that
are even authorized by the composers themselves.  That is similar to the
actions of the record companies that are not maintaining recordings in
print so that the composers and performers can continue to receive
royalties.  The copyright law is reducing, rather than increasing, the
income of the majority of composers and performers.

Mike Biel [log in to unmask]