The Library of Congress Preservation Directorate and FLICC/FEDLINK are hosting an informational forum on disaster recovery services. Open to all FLICC/FEDLINK members, the forum will be held on June 25, 2009, from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm, in the Mumford Room on the 6th floor of the Madison Building at the Library of Congress.
The purpose of the forum is to gather information about the services disaster recovery vendors have to offer. The possible scale of services is from a minimum number of pieces to full scale recovery, including, but not limited to:
- on-site assessment of damage resulting from one or more natural or man-made catastrophic events;
- careful handling and secure removal of damaged library collections and research materials from disaster sites to appropriate storage venues for subsequent freezing, air drying, vacuum freeze drying, or shipping to firms for single-item conservation treatment;
- cleaning or smoke removal;
- relocation of treated collections within their appropriate facilities;
- other related services as may be required to responsibly recover collection materials
Each vendor will give a 20 minute presentation to an audience made up of Library of Congress staff and federal librarians. The vendor is expected to present data and answer questions concerning their capabilities related to disaster response, collections damage assessment, and collections salvage and recovery. The vendors are invited to supply documentation for the audience. Written questions/comments received at the forum will be addressed, if time permits.
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2009
Time: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm EDT
Location: Mumford Room (#LM 649), 6th Floor of the Madison Building, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. S.E. Washington, D.C. 20540
Metro: Capitol South on the Blue and Orange Lines
Cost: No charge
Registration: You must register in advance by sending email to [log in to unmask]
This information forum is part of the solicitation process currently underway at the Library of Congress. The Library intends to issue a solicitation for disaster recovery services after gathering information and developing requirements. The full announcement of the request for information can be found on FedBizOpps here: https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=c693f3158a64a3b2b9cee12e6e69ac1b&tab=core&_cview=0.
Please contact Anne Harrison at 202-707-4834 or [log in to unmask] for more information or to submit questions in advance of the forum.