Machines & Accessories
Date: August 28, 2009
Subject: DTBM software revision
The NLS Materials Development Division (MDD) modifies the DTBM software
from time to time to correct faults, improve usability, or to add
The software versions released during the prelaunch test were 1.1.74
through 1.1.76. Since the commencement of mass production, players have
been manufactured with versions 2.0.0 through 2.0.3.
MDD is about to release version 2.1.0, which adds enhanced functionality.
Players with the new software will be delivered to libraries in late
NLS plans to add new software updates to regular book cartridges later in
the year, so that patrons will have their players updated automatically
prior to the book being played for first time.
BARD users will be notified of the availability of the upgrade when they
Libraries can upgrade players to the latest software in the following
1. Obtain the latest software from the NLS web site:
2. Extract (unzip) this file onto a cartridge or USB drive so that the
directory “upgrade” appears in the “root” directory of the drive.
3. Turn on the player.
4. Insert the cartridge or USB drive containing the software.
5. The player will announce “Upgrading your player’s software.”
6. Wait until the upgrade is complete and the player restarts (about 10
seconds), then remove the cartridge.
The upgrade will only occur if the player’s version is older than the
version of the software on the cartridge; reinserting the cartridge will
not repeat the upgrade.
The attached table describes the major changes made in each revision.