Machines and Accessories no. 09-04
Date: September 11, 2009
Subject: Warranty repairs for digital-talking book machines
Digital talking-book machines (DTBM) are under warranty by the manufacturer,
Shinano Kenshi Corporation, for thirteen months after the date of NLS
acceptance. A small sticker indicating the month and year the warranty expires is
located inside the cord storage compartment. As long as that date has not passed,
please use the process described below to return DTBMs for warranty repair.
Prior to returning a DTBM for warranty repair, machine-lending agencies (MLA)
must obtain a Returned Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number from the
manufacturer. An RMA number is obtained by completing an online form, as
Go to http://www.shinano.com/mla and enter the password gr33nhills. Each
MLA will use the same password. Then follow the steps below to complete the
1. Select an MLA location from the drop-down menu.
2. Type in your e-mail address in the MLA e-mail text box.
3. Select the model number of the DTBM being returned (standard or
4. Type in the DTBM's seven-digit serial number.
5. Type in the DTBM's seven-digit serial number again to confirm.
6. Select the warranty expiration date (see the label in the cord storage
7. Select a problem description from the drop-down menu or type one into
the text box.
8. If a single RMA is needed, press "Submit." A confirmation will be sent
by e-mail containing the RMA number and the address where the player
should be sent.
9. If additional RMAs are needed, press "Submit and enter another
RMA." A confirmation will be sent by e-mail containing the RMA
number and the address where the player should be sent. You can then
repeat the process for another DTBM to be returned.
When returning the player, be sure to include the RMA number in the address by
typing it in the second address line on the mailing label. Return the DTBM in its
original box with all packing materials and instructions, if available.
Only return a DTBM for warranty repair if it is covered under warranty. Under
no circumstances should you return a DTBM for warranty repair if:
-- it shows visible signs of customer abuse, such as a damaged or cut power
cable, liquid spilled over or into player, or a vermin infestation
-- it passes all diagnostics and is functional
-- the warranty expiration date has passed
-- it is missing documentation, has damaged/missing foam packaging or
shipping box, or is missing the AT cover, but is functional
Note: E-mail Anne Trainor ([log in to unmask]) at Shinano if you do not receive
confirmation e-mail with the RMA number. Do not return the player without a
unique RMA number on the address.
For more information contact:
Chief, Materials Development Division