ARSCLIST  October 2009

ARSCLIST October 2009

Re: Stroh violins

James L Wolf <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:15:28 -0400

The Stroh I played many years ago (for David Sager's Fearless Pie-in-the-Sky Orchestra) had one large horn pointing forward and one small one pointed at my ear when I played. At least the small horn was adjustable and I think the larger one had some limited range of motion.

The Stroh sound is very directional (as well as nasal) and without that smaller horn it is impossible for a player to hear him/herself in an ensemble setting. Did all Strohs have that feature?

The instrument on the Lark site seems definitely not authentic, or at least not a Stroh. But maybe it's the style used by Rumanian Gypsy masters...

James

>>> RA Friedman <[log in to unmask]> 10/15/2009 1:44 PM >>>

Instruments with the horn at about 9-10 o'clock were from the acoustic age.
This one that is for sale seems like an updated idea; not authentic.
Correct?

--
RA Friedman, principal photographer
Tsirkus Fotografika: The Photographic Circus

Join us on Face Book for the latest Tsirkus news!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Tsirkus-Fotografika/102587023588