ARSCLIST  October 2009

ARSCLIST October 2009

Re: Subversive recordings

Paul G Turney <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:46:46 +0000

Paul Turney

Sirensound Digital UK
Somerford House
22 Somerford Road
Cirencester
 ++44 (0) 1285 642289

-----Original Message-----
From: Marie O'Connell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 07:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Subversive recordings

That is Bill and Betty! (Newlyweds) The recording I have is 1 week beforethey get wed! Sorry, but I have to laugh out loud! We rarely get thismaterial in our archive and so this is enligthening and definitely one ofthe better finds to make me smile! I will need to also think of anappropriate way to put them in the database!What I really want to know is who was that phantom donor? Was he the pakehainterviewer in the historical recordings where he is interviewing a 100 yearold Maori, including a Maori translator? I love mysteries! Will keep youposted.Thanks for all the great replies!CheersMarieOn Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Ian Nagoski  wrote:> In addition, there's a pretty extensive YouTube channel of this> material: http://www.youtube.com/user/PartyRecords#p/u/1/pGSzdPrIwxM>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Jack Theakston>  wrote:> > I've no idea who Bill and Betty were, but these records were quite common> and popular before the 1960s. They were essentially "under the table"> records that were considered smut at the time, so you had to know someone or> some place that would sell them.> >> > The Arkansas bit, by the way, is an old burlesque routine and was> undoubtedly recorded many times by this underground form of entertainment.> My guess is that Bill and Betty were a burlesque/party/convention circuit> couple that did these jokes regularly.> >> > J. Theakston> >> >> >> >> > ________________________________> > From: Marie O'Connell > > To: [log in to unmask]> > Sent: Tue, October 20, 2009 8:08:34 PM> > Subject: [ARSCLIST] Subversive recordings> >> > I recently preserved two sound mirror paper analogue tapes that were> > accessioned into our collection a short while ago. The main audio of> > historical interest has been recorded over in parts and this is where I> need> > your help.> >> > There is a series of about six 78rpm recordings that have been put on to> > these tapes. This is obvious due to the distinctive clicks and pops and> > surface noise combined with this old paper tape stock. One recording> > features Bill and Betty who are soon to be married.........it goes on> from> > there! They have American accents and I would place the date at being> > around the early 1950's, but that is hard to pinpoint as there is no> > documentation at all. I would describe this as an example of early> > pornography.> >> > Another example is about changing the name of Arkansas. It features a> male> > voice with an American accent. The language used is colourful and would> > probably still not be able to be played over the airwaves today.> >> > And yet another recording features a male and female, with American> accents> > (they do sound like Bill and Betty!) and it is full of innuendos and very> > suggestive lines. Some of the language in the remainder of the examples> > includes words which would not be suitable for public broadcast.> >> > Would any of you have any ideas about these recordings, where and how> they> > were made (eg. blackmarket, back alley studio), where they were sold,> etc.> > It is not that difficult to figure out who would buy them! Is anyone> > familiar with 78 recordings such as these?> >> > Cheers> > Marie> >>