ARSCLIST  October 2009

ARSCLIST October 2009

Re: Bamboo Needles

Michael Ridderbusch <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:02:13 -0400

Is a special sharpening tool necessary for best results?
If so, where can you get one?
If not, will a hobby knife, through trial and error, give good results?

>>> John Eberle <[log in to unmask]> 10/23/2009 12:57 AM >>>
Answering Tom Fine's request for info about  purchasing bamboo needles :
Here is one source for new ones :
http://www.soundsofold.com/

Also I find it difficult to imagine   that the friction generated by
playing
a 78 rpm record with a Victor  Exhibition soundbox (or similar) and a
bamboo needle would generate enough heat  and pressure to burn the fiber material
into the groove.

I've have  over  36 years experience as a mastering engineer looking at
record grooves  with a microscope and IMO the fiber played grooves look just
fine and do not  show any sign of contamination from organic material burned
or abraded into the  groove . As a matter of fact they look better than the
grooves on identical  records that were undoubtedly played with steel needles
. These bamboo played  records  also play excellently with a proper stylus
in a modern magnetic  pick up .

BTW , I am speaking of bamboo needles exclusively and not  include or
recommend cactus needles .

John Eberle
AMERICANA CD  MASTERING
313 EAST COLLEGE STREET SUITE 3A