ARSCLIST  October 2009

ARSCLIST October 2009

Re: Living Presence promo copies (really)

"Steven C. Barr" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:30:11 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <[log in to unmask]>
> Steven Smolian wrote:
>> Well, 20047 is pretty early for an LP.
>> Steve
> I thought 1948 would be early for an LP!  :-)
> Seriously though, you mention that it is marked with a red overprint,
> which seems to me that it is a stock copy with an overprint notice.
> That is different from the record's original label being a promo like
> most of the later ones you listed.  There is the point of when any
> company really gave stations marked LPs rather than only singles on both
> 78 and 45 which we know was common starting in the post-war era.
> Because companies and local distributors would give or sell at a reduced
> rate back catalog copies with overprints, it is possible to get a DJ
> copy of a 10 or 15 years old release.  I know because I personally
> requested and got some!!!  Of course they would have current labels.

Back in 1973-75, I was the Music Director of station WILN...a carrier-
current facility which, among other things, provided working experience
to ISU students hoping for a DJ career...?! We received a shipment of
Columbia LP's on a monthly basis (and were "serviced" by other labels
as well). We also bought whole bunches of "cut-outs" on the VERY
cheap; in fact, we were able to subscribe to catalogs of such LP's, This
helped us build up our "LP library" to include a lot of "oldies," which our
listeners often requested.

LP's in which our audience would have minimal interest (or so we
assumed?!) were left out for staffers to take home as they saw fit!
I acquired a number of good records (all long since stolen...?!)
from this...!

Steven C. Barr