ARSCLIST  October 2009

ARSCLIST October 2009

Re: seeburg music (Was:Living Presence promo copies)

George Brock-Nannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Oct 2009 23:38:32 +0200

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Scott D. Smith kept the pot boiling, so I'll throw some more in; in other
words, back to the minutiae of Seeburg--trivia to others. I have a battered,
sleeveless copy of a Seeburg 12 inch stereo LP. Even though I would not
particularly like to subject my stylii to the record surface, even freshly
washed, we still get quite a lot of information just by means of the dark
pink label. It reads:

"Seeburg   [the S five times as wide as it is tall!]
Multi Track Master Recording
DISCOTEK PROGRAMMING
for listening or dancing
"Specially recorded for you by Seeburg"

VDS # 3                                    Side 1
STEREO                                 33 1/3 RPM"

In the lacquer: VDS 3 A, so no news here.

There are 6 tunes on each side. There are no obvious signs of the change from
one tune to the next. Only listening can tell if this is in medley style.

To me this does not look like Muzak or Seeburg background music--it was also
meant for dancing. The artificial word "DISCOTEK" does not have a TM or R.
Who would like to have a contraption change such records?

Billboard (Google!) from 22 May 1965 (pp. 45 & 48) explains the business
model that Seeburg wished to follow: obtaining copyright to much music,
distribute it in compilations to be exclusively used on leased machines. No
broadcasting, no private sales.

It seems Seeburg obtained exclusive rights to some performances, i.a. by
Dinah Washington. Please tell me if this is an extreme rarity searched for by
real afficionados.

Kind regards,

George
.