DATE : October 19, 2009
TO : Network Libraries
FROM : NLS/BPH
Subject : Digital Books Warranty and Overage Procedures
1. The library should confirm that digital book containers received from producers contain a
cartridge. Containers with cartridges missing should be returned immediately to the
producer. The library should report the problem to the NLS Quality Assurance Section
(QAS) at [log in to unmask] within 48 hours of receipt of an empty container. Failure to report
within the specified timeframe will void the warranty and the cartridge will not be replaced.
When reporting the problem provide the book number and the number of copies affected.
2. Damaged flash cartridges should be reported to [log in to unmask] within 48 hours. If possible,
provide a digital photograph. Failure to report within the specified timeframe will void the
warranty and the cartridge will not be replaced.
3. DB copies (container and cartridge) ordered but not received should be reported through the
delivery verification process.
4. Cartridges lost or damaged via library circulation will not be replaced by the book pro
5. Blank (no audio) cartridges or cartridges that will not play should be returned to the book
producer for replacement. The library should report the problem to [log in to unmask] Include
the book number for each separate title and the number of copies affected.
6. DB containers or cartridges that are missing labels or book cards should be reported to
[log in to unmask] for appropriate corrective action. Report the book number and identify the
type of label(s) missing or damaged (i.e., cartridge label, container side label, container end
label, container belly label, etc.), and the number of copies affected. If possible provide a
digital photograph. QAS will arrange for replacement labels to be sent to the reporting
7. DB containers with missing bar code labels or unreadable bar codes should be reported to
[log in to unmask] Replacement bar codes can be obtained directly through each multistate
center (MSC). Do not return the container to the book producer for bar code issues.
8. Damaged blue containers should be reported to [log in to unmask] for appropriate corrective
action. If possible, provide a digital photograph.
9. When reporting to [log in to unmask] be sure to include the book number and title with a brief
explanation of the problem.
10. For flash warranty returns, after notifying QAS, use the green address cards provided by
NLS through each MSC. Include your library's CMLS code at the bottom of your address.
DIGITAL BOOK OVERAGES:
1. Network libraries should follow the current practice used for the cassette program. Red
overage cards are available from each MSC.
For more information contact:
Head, Quality Assurance Section
[log in to unmask]