ARSCLIST  November 2009

ARSCLIST November 2009

Re: Nakamichi Cassette decks: Azimuth control

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:48:33 -0500

At 02:17 PM 2009-11-10, Dave Radlauer wrote:
>I'm shopping for a Nakamichi cassette deck for archival transfers to
>digital.  I'm seeking a deck with real-time Azimuth adjustment.

Hello, Dave,

The best place to go for things Nakamichi these days is www.naks.com
They have a discussion list that you may join and the people there
know far more than most of us here about where to buy, etc.

However, I would like to comment on your selections.

>The three decks that seem to have this feature are:
>Nak C7 - Azimuth adjustment dial plus VU switches to an azimuth
>readout (c. 1998)

It is the CR-7 and the "A" means for the "American" market
It was made from 1986-1993 MSRP $1849.
It is THE manual azimuth adjustment deck of choice for archival transfers.

The other machine that has been widely discussed for archival transfers is the
Nakamichi Dragon.
It was made from 1982-1993  MSRP $2499
It is THE auto azimuth adjustment deck of choice for archival transfers.
I own seven. I am not interested in selling any of them.
I bought all but one via eBay and was only burned on one of the six,
which was made well by a company that no longer services Nakamichi
due to the unavailability of parts.

>Nak D1 - Azimuth adjustment but no visual feedback on deck (c. late 1990s)

It is the DR-1 and it was made from 1992-1996 MSRP $930
I have no experience with this model. It would seem like a reasonable
choice, but it did sell for a lot less than the CR-7 and the Dragon.

There is no coincidence that the CR-7 and the Dragon were
discontinued in 1993 while the DR-1 was introduced in 1992. This was
the beginning of the end of Nakamichi cassettes. Only a few models
were introduced after 1992, and even the famed Nakamichi building
with its concert hall in Tokyo was demolished later to make room for
something else.

>Nak 700 - Azimuth adjustment plus single bulb or LED readout (c. 1978)

Nak 700 1973-1977 MSRP $850
Nak 700 II  1977-1980  MSRP $1140
These have RECORD head azimuth adjustment which is useless for what
you want to do--and, as Nakamichi soon discovered, was less than
useful if you were playing tapes that were recorded in other machines
than your Nakamichi.

I would not consider this for the above reason and its age.

Cheers,

Richard