EDUCAT November 2009

Re: LIS Phd online?

"Hider, Philip" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:03:04 +1100

The School of Information Studies at Charles Sturt University, Australia also has one. It's been running for over a decade; we currently have 20 or so part-time online/distance PhD students. The part-time program is generally completed in around five years, but rates of progress vary. Most students attend at least two or three residential schools over their candidature, but we're more flexible when it comes to offshore students (through the use of videoconferencing technologies, etc.). We have, I guess, medium strength in cataloging/metadata, with three faculty members researching and supervising in the area.

Assoc Prof Philip Hider
Head, School of Information Studies
Charles Sturt University
Tel. 02 6933 2522  (International: +612 6933 2522)
Fax. 02 6933 2733  (International: +612 6933 2733)
Email [log in to unmask]
Web http://www.csu.edu.au/faculty/educat/sis

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Judy Weedman
Sent: Friday, 27 November 2009 4:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [eduCAT] LIS Phd online?

SJSU SLIS has one.  It does require 2 weeks in residence per year -- one
in early August and one at ALISE in January.  It's a cooperative venture
with Queensland University of Technology in Australia.  The degree is from
QUT and their highly regarded faculty are deeply involved along with the
SJSU faculty, but the August residencies are in San Jose.

I can't claim we're terribly strong in cataloging/metadata, unfortunately. We lost our primary cataloging faculty member a couple years ago.  We're
pretty strong in information retrieval, though, which is closely related.

If you want to look at more information, it can be found at
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/gatewayphd/

We start a cohort each fall; the first was in 2008, the second in 2009. It's specifically designed for people who will keep their full-time,
demanding jobs, and go half-speed through the PhD; it takes 7 years to
complete.  If people want to take a leave from their positions, it's
possible to move faster, depending on how long a leave it is.

        Judy