We also have a few Ampex 406 1/4" 10.5" stereo tapes professionally recorded and stored in London around 77-80 that are suffering binder adhesion to leader tape. I'd be interested in hearing comments and suggestions as to handling this problem.
Obviously the tapes require baking yet the main problem is the oxide sticking to the leader tape edited in between tracks. There are a few types of leader tape and have found that coloured and printed leader tape is the most problematic.
We have very gently hand wound tapes whilst dousing the problem areas with isopropyl prior to any baking, but the oxide still sticks to the leader. We have also tried baking as well as dehydrating to no benefit.
Does anyone have experience of this problem with Ampex 406? Will soaking in silica gel in the fridge be of benefit?
So far there hasn't been any splicing-tape adhesive bleed which is another problem we're having with EMI Tape.
Over the weekend I will attempt to post a link to photos of the tapes for everyone.
Direct Line: 020 7400 8569
Mobile: 07788 438 291
Audio Transfers . Inflight Productions . 15 Stukeley Street . London . WC2B 5LT
* Audio Transfers is a division of the Inflight Group of Companies and specialise in Digitisation, Format / File Conversions, Archiving, Compiling / Pre-Mastering and Audio Library Administration for the Music Industry *
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: 15 December 2009 20:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape Shed-Sticking & stripping
This is very problematic, and I do NOT think baking is a good idea.
There is a CHANCE that month-long cold soak in a desiccated
atmosphere (silica gel inside double freezer (or foil) Zip-Loc bags
in the fridge (not freezer)).
It has worked for some 3M 176 that showed this symptom. It has also
not worked for other tapes. Jim Wheeler gave me this technique. I
don't know his source. I haven't used it much.
The other thing to try is VERY slow unwinding - 1.88 in/s or slower.
Sometimes that alone helps.
The tape in the photo was baked based on a consensus of the people at
the seminar (including the tape owner) because we didn't have time
for cold soak and we wanted to see what would work (or not).
Since that article, I have had good results with 3M201 which had the
same problem and the 1.88 in/s wind-through solved it.
At 12:34 PM 2009-12-15, Martin Fisher wrote:
>Got a polyester/plastic non-backcoated reel in which the binder is
>stripping off onto the adjacent wind. AKA "binder adhesion to back
>of next layer" on Richard Hess' site.
>Might baking be a solution for this?
Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask]
Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX
Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm
Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.
Registered Office: 15 Stukeley Street, London WC2B 5LT, England.
Registered in England number 1421223
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited. Please note that the information provided in this e-mail is in any case not legally binding; all committing statements require legally binding signatures.