Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  December 2009

EDUCAT December 2009

Re: PhDs for cataloging instructors, or not?

Lorna Peterson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:51:03 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

  On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Mary Miller wrote:

> "Christine Schwartz's query about online PhDs led to an interesting
conversation about whether one should earn a PhD if one is interested in
teaching cataloging ...."

I have been reading these posts with great interest. I am on a faculty of
Library and Information Studies where our MLS program requires cataloging
for graduation-- of all students. I do not teach cataloging-- but I have
chaired our search committees for Knowledge Organization aka "cataloging."

The future of the profession depends upon research. A doctoral degree is a
research degree. And LIS programs need faculty members who can teach
cataloging and conduct research. The University at Buffalo MLS program is
one such program (although we are currently not hiring).

Full time faculty tenure track positions require that a faculty member
does three things: research, teach, and service. Yes the joke is research,
research, research but most of us have to teach--even at the AAU, Research
Intensive, doctoral granting institutions, we teach and we do research.

Advancing cataloging in the academy will require full time tenure track
faculty who are engaged in research, teaching, and service. Mary Miller
makes an excellent point about the status of cataloging. LIS faculties
need doctoral candidates who can teach cataloging and conduct research in
cataloging or conduct research in some other library and information
science (including archives) area.

For those who want to be adjuncts and teach at that level, then the
doctorate is generally not needed. For those who want to be part of a
degree granting faculty, a doctorate is needed. It is also important to remember
that there are LIS programs that are not ALA accredited. If a job search
is extended to include those schools, especially the NCATE recognized
programs, the scope of opportunity broadens.

lp

Lorna Peterson, PhD
Associate Professor
University at Buffalo

  On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Mary Miller wrote:

> Christine Schwartz's query about online PhDs led to an interesting conversation about whether one should earn a PhD if one is interested in teaching cataloging.  Several folks commented that PhD programs in LIS are research-oriented and that someone interested in teaching might do better to explore options for teaching as an adjunct, rather than obtaining a PhD.
>

> This seems like good, practical advice, but I have some questions/concerns related to that approach. I've been reading a lot about education for catalogers,
  and one concern raised by many folks is that reliance on adjunct instructors could diminish the place of cataloging even farther in the curriculum.
  This is not because adjuncts wouldn't be good teachers, but because they wouldn't have the status of full-time faculty when it comes to curriculum development for the LIS program, advocating for more cataloging courses, and so on. Thoughts?