Help for EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  December 2009

EDUCAT December 2009

Re: PhDs for cataloging instructors, or not?

Suzanne Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 21:46:03 -0600

I know I said this before, but to make clear -- I was not suggesting that someone interested in teaching cataloging should not earn a Ph.D. I was suggesting that someone who is not interested in research would probably not find the process of earning the Ph.D. or the process of earning tenure enjoyable.

We absolutely need more people who are interested in teaching and doing research in cataloging (or information organization or metadata or whatever you want to call it)  to earn the Ph.D. and apply for tenure track positions.

Suzanne M. Stauffer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Louisiana State University
275 Coates Hall