ARSCLIST  January 2010

ARSCLIST January 2010

Re: DAT ripping

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:26:01 -0500

At 03:24 PM 2010-01-21, Parker Dinkins wrote:
>Richard, hi.
>
>Let's not forget that the DDS format is based on the use of special data
>grade tape, if we are to believe the documentation for it.

Ahh, but some (many?) of us used DDS grade tape in our audio DAT
machines. <smile> I still have some Maxell DDS tapes, just in case I
need to use the portable DAT for something. I switched to MD for most
field recordings back then because it was more portable, more robust,
and a much cheaper machine (in case you dropped it) and sounded "good enough".

>So the use of DDS as a system was designed to be better (more robust) than
>the use any system using audio DATs from some place in New Jersey, or with
>some battery operated consumer DAT machine that's been left in the hot sun,
>dropped on the floor, stepped on... or, (I just realized) maybe I should
>throw some DAT machines around to vary their alignment. Maybe get a real
>variety that way so I can finally hear some of those hard-to-play suckers.
>Just kidding....

Eddie Ciletti will play a tape with bad alignment by re-aligning a
DAT machine to the tape. I send work to him because of that
capability. He repairs DAT machines.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/

Cheers,

Richard