ARSCLIST  January 2010

ARSCLIST January 2010

Re: Styli for playback of old Edison Diamon Discs

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:09:09 -0500

Jan:

If you don't track super-heavy (which will "bottom out" a Stanton 500 anyway), it's not going to
hurt a DD to run a thinner-than groove stylus, so I'd start with your standard 78-lateral stylus and
see how it sounds. Then try the thicker needles until you find the one that sounds best. The bigger
problems with DD's are: 1) if the center has been moisture-soaked, the disk de-laminates and becomes
useful only as a museum piece of dead media, and 2) the content ain't that great due to Edison being
a better inventor than A&R man. But there are some good ones and it's an interesting medium.

What kinds of tracking force are people on-list using for DD's with a modern turntable (I'd be using
a KAB-modified Technics 1200)?

-- Tom Fine