ARSCLIST  January 2010

ARSCLIST January 2010

Re: Labelography guidelines?

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:02:25 -0700

You also need to learn how to recognize the format of RCA Victor matrix
numbers and extract the encoded date in the prefix.  For example, The E4
starting the prefixes on your Flame 700 by Bernie Roberts and several
bands on Mono records indicate 1954.  G8 is 1956 and H8 is 1957.  I
don't have my chart with me (perhaps someone can find it from my 78-L
postings of it a few years ago and repost it), but the format is a
four-place prefix with a number usually in the second place, followed by
four digits.  From the early 40s thru 1954, the first letter is the
decade and the number is the year within that decade.  For example, D7
means 1947.  In early 1956 the code changed, and the first letter was
the year starting with F for 1955.

The listing published in Volume 1 of Fagen & Moran and reprinted in New
Amberola Graphic is WRONG, however, because Ted Fagen believed the sheet
that RCA Victor handed him which was the PROPOSED system.  They
eventually skipped letters like I, O, Q, and W, but I don't have the
exact info in front of me.  The other places in the prefix all have
meanings, and I can tell you that the final W means 7-inch 45 RPM
microgroove.  Other final letters mean other speeds, sizes, and
grooving, such as B meaning 10-inch 78 RPM standard groove.  Other
places designate the source of the master, the record label if part of
the RCA family, and the genre of the recording.  The prefix system
changed again in the 1970s and I haven't bothered to decode it because
they are often close to the catalog number.

It also helps to know what an RCA Victor master and pressing looks like,
because it is possible in small labels like these to have a similar
system.  The typeface RCA used on the stamped numbers is easy to spot,
and you can often see a pressing plant designation at the 12 O'Clock
position of I for Indianapolis (where I bet most of the Wisconsin labels
would have been pressed), R for Rockaway, New Jersey (not New York as
some rock colletors believe), or H for Hollywood.  Handwritten masters
are also possible.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]