ARSCLIST  January 2010

ARSCLIST January 2010

Re: Labelography defined?

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:39:47 -0500

One reason it is necessary to understand the sequence of labels is to
idenify first editions or, at least, first label editions issued under a
specific catalog number or other identifier.

Among other professions, I am a record appraiser.  To this end, I have well
over 25,000 LPs arranged by label name, numerical series and label sequence
along with earliest year of publication and the number of the first and last
record I know of for which that label was used during that year.  I do the
same for all further years that the design was in use for first editions.
Changes from one label to another include moving the side number from one
side of the spindle hole to the other, going from roman to arabic side
numbers, alterations in the parimeter print, etc., not only the overall
design.  I realize that some differences are due to using multiple label
printers when pressings are made at different plants.

This has been very helpful when analyzing insurance claims when the owner of
water and fire damaged records claims a collectible item that, using this
file, turns out to be provably later than he states.

RCA is particularly difficult in this respect but, at least for his period
of active recording, there are excellent books on Elvis' Victor recording
carreer which go into the matrix codes and have decent label photos as well
as identifying the illustrated inner sleeve in use when the record was
released.  As for the Beatles, Bruce Spizer's books are terrific, done with
access to Capitol's files.  He includes photos of label sheets and of the
printimg presses that produced them.  These are fine starting points for
designing a labelogrophy.

The basic decision is if the final product is to be a book or a website.
Some of the web studies are ok but are nore focussed on compiling label
numericals.  The Spizer books, on which no expense seem to have been spared,
are, in my opinion, monumental.  Perhaps he might be invited to address this
issue at a future ARSC Conference.

Steve Smolian