DATETIME  January 2010

DATETIME January 2010

Re: syntax of date ranges

Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:09:26 +0100

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:39:10 -0800, Per Bothner wrote
> On 01/26/2010 10:54 AM, Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:15:31 -0800, Per Bothner wrote
> >> I notice the proposal uses '/' for a date range,
> >> and '-' as a date component separator.  Unfortunately,
> >> I think this is the reverse of what most "humans"
> >> (at least in the US) expect.  I.e. traditionally when
> >
> > That's precisely the point. Most humans don't live in the US or are US
> > ex-pats.
>
> Actually, '/' is common as a separator in European locales, too.
> At least Norwegian, which I know well!

In Norge the syntax is: Year/Month/Day
In other countries using the / notation we have: Month/Day/Year
and Day/Month/Year

I don't know any place that uses the convention:
  Year/day/Month
but ...

> > The standard date syntax used in the U.S. clashes with the syntax
> > found in many other countries and is thus quite ambiguous.
>
> However, YYYY/MM/DD would have been unambigious - though that

No it not. Fine when YYYY > 31 or DD > 12 but not all cases.. Even using
YYYY notation for year we still have years < 31 or years <12 and they
can create problems..
If we agree that the format **IS** YYYY/MM/DD then its just ISO with / instead
of the optional (in ISO) -.. nothing to gain but confusion.

> is water under the bridge, and not the issue at hand.  As I wrote
> "For compatibility reasons we're stuck with using '-' as a separator".
>
> Sorry if I gave the impression that I was arguing for replacing
> the YYYY-MM-YY syntax - I think it was a mistake, but not a big one,

In ISO the - is optional in ISO but mandatory in W3c standards..

1960-12-12 is the same as 19601212. The point of the - is to allow for
parsing saving the 0.

1960-6-7 instead of 19600607

> and we're stuck with it.
>
> However, it is hopefully not too late to stop the use of '/'
> to indicate a range.

Time intervals (ranges) in the ISO standard are defined with /

ISO 8601 is FILLED with all kinds of stuff.. our aim, I think, is to
reduce ISO 8601 to a core of what we need (and perhaps add a few things
that are "missing"). Our aim is NOT to start the process all over!

--- I'm only interested in ALL the formats used in text to denote dates
as I'm nutty enough to try to parse them (for date search) as they are.

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
http://www.nonmonotonic.net